Theatre of the Year
THEATRE OF THE YEAR (established 1990) honors a community theatre that has made the biggest impact upon their community through continuous productions each year. Center Stage Players for the Physically Limited in Tulsa was the first honoree in 1989, for performing nobly with courage and adaptability, using both handicapped and non-handicapped players and backstage actors and workers.
History: Many Oklahoma Community Theatres who are members of OCTA make outstanding contributions to their community that are within the scope and mission of OCTA. To honor the OCTA 20th Anniversary, the 1989 Board of Directors elected to establish an award to go to the theatre that had made the biggest impact upon their community.
Criteria for nominations:
(1) A current list of Board of Directors must be attached.
(2) Theatre must have had a continuous production season for 10 years and must have done at least 2 productions each year
(3) Outline of theatre activities over the past years
(4) Note any growth or positvie change in the organiztion
(5) Any contributions to the local community
(6) Any major achievements/projects in the past year
(7) Must be a current member of OCTA.
(8) This award can be given in any year.
This is the most prestigious award a theatre can receive in Oklahoma and is the equivalent to the Governors Arts Award. This may be given in any year.
Theatre of the Year Past Recipients
2015 Jewel Box Theatre, OKC
2013 Duncan Little Theatre
2012 Carpenter Square Theatre, OKC
Gaslight Theatre, Enid
2011 Theatre Tulsa, Tulsa
2010 Shawnee Little Theatre
2009 Ardmore Little Theatre
2008 Muskogee Little Theatre
2006 Grove Community Playmakers
2004 Heller Theatre, Tulsa
2002 Red Carpet Community Theatre, Elk City
2000 Lawton Community Theatre
1998 Town & Gown Theatre, Stillwater
1996 Broken Arrow Community Playhouse
Ponca Playhouse, Ponca City
1994 Muskogee Little Theatre
1993 Watonga Community Theatre, “The Company”
1992 Shawnee Little Theatre